What is a VA Loan Certificate of Eligibility?
VA Loan Eligibility
To be eligible for a VA loan you must meet certain standards set by the Department of Veterans Affairs. A Certificate of Eligibility or COE as it is mostly known is a very important part of the VA loan process. TJC Mortgage, Inc. is veteran owned and operated and we want to help our veterans understand what a COE is and how to obtain one.
What is a COE?
The Certificate of Eligibility verifies to the lender that you are indeed eligible to receive the benefit of a VA-backed loan. It looks like this:
How Do I Obtain a COE?
You must submit evidence to verify your eligibility. The documentation depends on the nature of your eligibility. Please see the categories and what is needed to apply listed below.
Veteran, current or former National Guard or Reserve member who has been activated for Federal active service
- DD Form 214- This is required to show the character of service and the narrative reason for separation
Active Duty Service Member
- A current statement of service signed by the adjutant, personnel office, or commander of the unit or higher headquarters
- The statement must include your full name, social security number, date of birth, entry date on active duty, duration of any lost time, and the name of the command providing the information
Current National Guard or Reserve member who has never been activated for Federal active service
- A statement of service signed by the adjutant, personnel officer or commander of your unit or higher headquarters
The statement must include your full name, social security number, date of birth, entry date on duty, duration of any lost time, the number of years of creditable service, and the name of the command providing the information
Discharged member of the National Guard who has never been activated for Federal active service
- NGB form 22, Report of Separation and Record of Service for each period of National Guard Service or NGB Form 23, Retirement Points Accounting, and proof of the character of service
Discharged member of the Selected Reserve who has never been activated for Federal active service
- Copy of your latest annual retirement points statement and evidence of honorable service
Surviving Spouse in receipt of Dependency and Indemnity Compensation benefits
- VA Form 26-1817 including veteran’s and surviving spouse’s social security numbers and veteran’s DD214 (if available)
Surviving Spouse not receiving Dependency and Indemnity Compensation benefits
- Submit the following to the appropriate Compensation and Pension office-VA Form 21-534, DD214 (if available), marriage license, death certificate or DD Form 1300, you can find the mailing address for your state here.
How Do I Apply for a VA Loan?
After you have gathered the needed information, you can now apply for your COE in many ways. You may apply online through the eBenefits portal, you can apply through your lender, or you can apply by mail. Call or email TJC Mortgage, Inc. today to get started with the VA loan application process. TJC Mortgage, Inc. is veteran owned and operated. We are dedicated to assisting our veterans and current service members with all their mortgage needs. Use this benefit, you have earned it!
TJC Mortgage, Inc.’s home office is located One Perimeter Park South, Suites 130 and 230, Birmingham, AL 35243. Licensed in Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. NMLS ID # 2239 (www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org) This blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner of this blog will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of the information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. The terms and conditions are subject to change at any time with or without notice.